An English teacher was explaining to his students the
concept of gender association in the English language.
He stated how hurricanes at one time were given feminine
names and how ships and planes were usually referred to as "she". One
of the students raised their hand and asked – "What gender is a
The teacher wasn’t certain which it was, so he divided the
class into two groups, males in one, females in the other, and asked them to
decide if a computer should be masculine or feminine. Both groups were asked to
give four reasons for their recommendation. The group of women concluded that
computers should be referred to in the masculine gender because:
order to get their attention, you have to turn them on.
2. They have a lot of data but are still clueless.
3. They are supposed to help you solve your problems, but
half the time they ARE the problem.
4. As soon as you commit to one, you realize that, if you
had waited a little longer, you could have had a better model.
The men, on the other hand, decided that computers should
definitely be referred to in the feminine gender because:
1. No one but their creator understands their internal
2. The native language they use to communicate with other
computers is incomprehensible to everyone else.
3. Even your smallest mistakes are stored in long-term
memory for later retrieval.
4. As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find
yourself spending half your paycheck on accessories for it.